Tuesday 19 August 2008

Submitted by Jonny (Oswestry, England)




Recently went on holiday to have a look round the old World War One memorials and was amazed at the sheer scale of just the British Casualties buried in the Tyne Cot Cemetary. Also had a stroll round some preserved trenches in the Hill 62 area which was interesting but very grim. One of the few moments in my life when I felt genuinelly moved. Got some shots of a ridiculous amount of names of those missing/presumed dead on the Menin Gates at Ypres also. I almost felt guilty for not providing a significant contribution for Queen and country. And even if there was another World War god forbid, I would be far too frightened to go and fight.

My father at the Menin Gates with 65,000 names of dead, missing or presumed dead.

And a cross tribute which a lad of about 7 happily placed down, though his father was clearly upset and overwhelmed by the place itself.


No comments: